Thursday 24 October 2019

(EN) DIY Guitar Stompbox - The A-1 Buffer



This is my new stomp box: the A-1 Buffer pedal. It is very simple, very small, transparent and beautiful (IMHO).

It is based on on an N-type JFET and its circuit has very few components, making it a good first project
for beginners.


A buffer is an useful tool to have in your pedal board, especially when you have a lot of pedals and long wires to and from your amp. It prevents the guitar signal loss due to the big resistance the sum of the cables and pedals offer. Of course this is the "long story short" version of what a buffer is and what it does; if you want more information there is a guide here.

As this pedal has a small PCB, I decided to go for an Hammond 1590A enclosure. Before drilling and assembling the pedal, I tried a 3D simulation of the fit using Sketchup.



I painted the enclosure using a white spray acrylic paint, then I applied the a transparent decal with the graphics. I wanted to give the pedal a sort of "Japanese mecha design", paying a small homage to Gundam, that's why I went for the black/red on white. I finished the pedal with a transparent gloss lacquer which gives it a good looking finish and protect the decal at the same time.

Once the paint was dried, it was time to assemble the pedal; a snug fit, I have to say, but it seems that the 3D simulation worked perfectly.


Thank you for reading, see you in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment